Thursday, May 29, 2014

Who Knew I Could Love a Bunch of Rocks?

Windsor Castle
Today was our bus tour of Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, Lacock, and Bath. So, before I talk about the different stops along the tour, let’s just talk about the English countryside for a minute. It’s gorgeous. Not as green as Ireland, but England has trees. It’s so pretty. 

Ok, so we started at Windsor Castle. It was a lot of fun. It was gorgeous inside. My favorite part was the weapons. There were hundreds of swords, rifles, and pistols everywhere. They had whole rooms devoted to them. They were criss-crossed on the walls and in glass cases. There was even one that had 3 rings of pistols that encircled a golden unicorn head. I mean, how cool is that?! It was super cool. They also had some blue swords. They had sapphires all over the hilts. It was great. However, my favorite experience during Windsor Castle was when one of the girls in our group started singing Frozen songs because it totally fit with the castle. She sang under her breath. She wasn’t belting it. But, she sang For the First Time in Forever and Do You Want to Build a Snowman? It was great. We saw this massive doll house that they had there as well. It was amazingly intricate. Very impressive. The whole castle was pretty impressive. We stepped into the chapel there too. There were lots of monarchs buried there. Henry VIII was one. But, the organ pipes were gorgeous. There were hundreds of them and they were all elaborately painted. I wish I’d been allowed to take a picture. They were amazing and so was the woodwork surrounding them.

Stonehenge!
After that we headed off to Stonehenge. Guys, I went to Stonehenge. Stonehenge. We hear about Stonehenge and see it in movies, but I was actually there. It was so cool! I loved it so much! It’s not just a pile of rocks. It’s amazing! I took so many pictures….and bought another puzzle….I need to stop doing that. But, the whole experience there was awesome!
A house in Lacock

Then we headed to Lacock, which is this little town that still looks like a period town. It’s old-fashioned and lots of fun to see. We had lunch there. I had the Beef Wellington. It was absolutely wonderful! I would’ve liked to stay there longer, but the tour was on a time crunch. I wanted to stay longer because they filmed some of the corridor scenes from Harry Potter in the abbey there and they also filmed some of the BBC’s show Cranford there. But, from what I saw it was wonderful! Despite the short time spent there it was great just to see the town. I’m not too disappointed that I didn’t see those other things, because I was really concerned about eating lunch. I was starving by this point of the tour, but we walked around the town for a bit and got the feel of the place. It was so beautiful.

Afterwards we headed off to Bath, but because of several people not coming back to the bus on time and because of traffic problems we only had an hour in Bath. So, rather than wandering off on our own, we walked around with our tour guide and he showed us some cool places in Bath (By the time we got there the Roman Baths had closed for the day, which was sad, but oh well).  The town itself is just really beautiful.


And then after that we had the 3 hour ride home. Then I went grocery shopping because I only had mayo, raspberry jam, some bread, pasta (no sauce), and Digestives (which are super yummy cookies). And that wasn’t going to sustain me for long. So, anyway, it was another fun and busy day.
Enjoy the pictures!

Stonehenge

Stonehenge again. 

Gorgeous English countryside

More Stonehenge.

I really liked Stonehenge.
(This one is probably my favorite picture)

Stonehenge yet again. 

Me at Stonehenge.

Part of the garden at Windsor Castle

Any finally....Stonehenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment