Saturday, May 10, 2014

History, Antiques, and Richard III

Have I told you guys how every day feels so long? And how I can never remember how my day started Well, now you know and it happens every single day.

This morning we went to the Museum of London. It was really cool. London has so much history and the US is still in its baby years. It was amazing to see artifacts from thousands of years ago. It was just a fun place to wander around. It was very interesting.
St. Paul's Cathedral

We then decided to go to Portobello Road, but before we went there our professors wanted to show us this incredible view of St. Paul’s Cathedral. We went up onto the roof of a mall and suddenly, there was St. Paul’s Cathedral. It was so close. London has such incredible architecture. We ate at a little café afterwards. I had a roasted chicken Panini-type sandwich with jalapeños. It was so good!


Portobello Road (as seen from over the top of everyone's heads)
Then we went to Portobello Road. It was amazing! And incredibly packed full of people. There is no personal space at the Portobello Market. The street is lined with shops, inside the storefronts and out on the street. It was full of antiques. Silver, lace, old cameras, china, etc. It was awesome. We didn’t quite get to the end of the road before we had to turn around and head back, but we plan to go back before this trip is over. I didn’t buy anything this time, but I didn’t get to see it all. Maybe I'll find a hidden gem next time I go.



My yummy gelato
On the walk back to the Tube station we stopped and got gelato. I got milk chocolate and banana kiwi. The banana kiwi was the best!

We came back to the flat after that and just hung out until we left to go to our evening play. It was a production of Richard III. It was in this little tiny community theater. It was completely hidden; we almost walked right past it. The play itself was in a black box theater. It was a good play, but considering the other plays we’ve seen, it was very interesting/entertaining, but not the best one I’ve seen so far in London.

I’m 90% positive that that’s all I did today. J Hope so. If not, I guess it wasn’t too important because I can’t remember it. Anyway, enjoy the pictures!



This was a little fountain inside a cute little garden just outside the Museum of London

Another shot of St. Paul's Cathedral

Portobello Road!

This was a clothing store on Portobello Road.
The walls were lined with these sewing machines

It's my name!
(sorry about the sad angle/quality of the picture. It was raining)



No comments:

Post a Comment