Friday, May 23, 2014

So Many Books and So Much Candy!

My assorted candies. :)
After class and lunch we decided to go to a candy shop, Hardy’s. It was this little tiny shop down a side street, but it was super cute. They had jars and jars of candy lining the walls and the guy behind the counter would fill bags full of candy for you. But, I’m not well-versed in the arts of British candy so I got a bag of assorted candy. This way I can figure out my favorites and then go back and buy the best ones. So funny story: There was a group of us at the candy store. 3 girls and 1 guy. As we were paying, the guy behind the counter was talking to us and after finding out that we were from the States, offered us all sorts of free candy. We had raspberry bonbons (which were amazing!), chocolate covered honeycomb, etc. As we were leaving, the guy in our group said something along the lines of, “If it had just been me in that store I wouldn’t have gotten any of those free samples.” It was so funny, because it’s totally true. It was great. Benefit of being a girl. :)

The quote on my bag from Waterstones.
Afterwards, we went back over to Hatchards, the bookstore I went to earlier this week. I gave in and bought the Dark Materials trilogy, because the covers are gorgeous and I currently don’t have copies of them. Then we walked down the street to Waterstones, another bookstore. It was 5 floors and huge! It was like a giant Barnes and Noble. I had the biggest grin on my face when I walked into the fiction section. It was amazing and wonderful. So, at that bookstore I bought Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. I wasn’t going to buy two, but they were buy one get one half off. So, I obviously had to buy two.

Then we wandered around Piccadilly Circus until we found dinner. I had a yummy sandwich with prosciutto. Then we headed off to our play, Romeo and Juliet. We were there an hour early, so we backtracked a bit and ended up at this little park with lots of roses. 

The play was actually pretty good. I didn’t go in expecting to like it, but it was well done. I liked everything except for all of the times when Romeo and Juliet were on stage together. 

On the bus back to the tube station, our entire group was on the upper level of the double decker bus. We were pretty loud, but there were these other kids behind who were letting out these blood-curdling screams. The best quote that came out of that annoying experience on the bus: "When you're more obnoxious than the Americans, you're really obnoxious." It was pretty hysterical. 

Yep. It was a good day. Enjoy the pictures! 

Hardy's sweet shop!

Hatchards!
(I'd take pictures of the covers of my books,
but they are in my closet and I'm on the top bunk.
They are too far away. So maybe later.)

I know it's a super fuzzy picture, but this was the most stereotypical American hat I've ever seen.
It was in a British souvenir shop.  Denim hat. American flag. Bedazzled brim. It was awful.

Rose from the garden. 

These super pretty flowers that I found on the walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment