Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Day of Unrealized Plans

Westminster Abbey
Today was one of those days where your plans fell through but you ended up doing something better. The plan this morning was to go tour Westminster Abbey, which was going to be cool. But, once we got there we found out that Tuesdays are the only days that the tours start later than 9:30. So, we wandered around for a couple of hours and we ended up at this random park. It had the most beautiful carved wooden bench. It was amazing. We stayed there for almost an hour. After that we headed back to Westminster Abbey only to find a line that went around the block. So, obviously we decided to come back another day.

Several people went off to the British Museum, others went home to do homework, but another girl and I went to a bookstore. We went to Hatchards. It had 5 floors (I think). It was wonderful! So many books! And the books in the UK have different covers, which are amazing! I desperately wanted to buy His Dark Materials because they were gorgeous. And maybe if I still have money to spend I will go back and buy them. I also want the entire Harry Potter series (the British versions), but that’s way too much money right now. So anyway, I bought one book. I know, just one book. The Cuckoo’s Calling. It’s the book that J.K. Rowling wrote under a pseudonym. I started it before I came to London, but now I can finish it!

After that we came home to do homework (on the way back I bought a raspberry tart, but more about that later). Of course, no homework was done and at 5:00 we left for dinner. We had Indian food tonight. I’ve never had Indian food so this was a new experience for me. I had Chicken Tikka Masala. The chicken was good, but I’ve decided that I don’t like curry. It looks like baby food and the lovely mushy baby food texture is not appealing at all. There was no way I was eating that stuff plain. Bleh! So, I’ve finally found food in London that I don’t particularly like.

My delicious raspberry tart!
After dinner we went to A Small Family Business, a play at the National Theatre. It was pretty good. Not one of my favorites, but it was funny. And the set was amazing! It was a full sized house, complete with rooms and running water. And it rotated on the stage, no big deal.J After that performance we came home and I ate my raspberry tart. It was wonderful and heavenly and I think I need to buy another one. It was one of the best things I’ve eaten here.

Then I finished my homework for tomorrow: wrote 2 papers and finished reading a play. And all of that only took me 2 hours. The benefits of being an English major. Paper and reading are so easy, like breathing. Anyway, tomorrow is going to be another busy day, so I’m off to bed. 

Here's some more pictures!


The marvelous bench we found.

We're calling it Rivendell

My book! Isn't it gorgeous?!


No comments:

Post a Comment