Thursday, June 19, 2014

My Mom's Here!!!

Mom at the Peter Pan statue
Today was the day that my Study Abroad program ended and the day that my mom arrived in London. It was hard to leave my friends and my flat that had been my home for 6 weeks, but I was so excited to see my mom. After only getting 4.5 hours of sleep last night, I hauled all my luggage to our hotel so they could hold it for me and then I left on the tube to go pick up my mom at the airport. After a million flight issues, she got to the airport, but one bag short. But, the fun must go on. J So, we dropped her carry-on off at our hotel and then headed out to explore London.

I showed her around my neighborhood. We walked down the streets I’ve walked every day and I showed her my flat. Then we wandered through Hyde Park. We saw several statues and even headed over to the Peter Pan statue (third time for me). Showed her where I had class (the LDS chapel where I had church).

St. Dunstan's
Then we decided to head over to St. Dunstan’s. I hadn’t been there yet, so I didn’t know what to expect. It was a church that had been hit during the war and has since been turned into a garden. It was small and super pretty. If I spent a lot of time on that side of London, I would totally eat my lunch there every day. It was super cute.

St. Dunstan’s is right next to the Tower of London where we had fish n’chips. Not the best in London, but they were pretty good. J After we walked around the Tower for a bit, we finally decided to go inside. Saw the Crown Jewels. They are still pretty awesome. J Then we walked through the White Tower and then along the outer wall. The view was really pretty from the wall. And last time I was at the Tower I didn’t get to walk along the wall and I’m glad I got to do it. J

Next came ice cream! J Ben and Jerry’s ice cream. And then we came back to the hotel because I didn’t sleep much last night and mom had been up for almost 24 hours, so we came back and relaxed for a bit. Our hotel room is super tiny, but that’s a London trait so, oh well.

We went to Nando’s for dinner. It’s a chicken place. It was pretty good. We had lemon and herb chicken with garlic bread and coleslaw. The coleslaw was different, but the rest of it was very tasty. After dinner we got lucky and made it to the bakery before it closed. I got a lemon cake and mom got a rich chocolate brownie. They were both delicious. The chocolate brownie had some interesting frosting. It was really good, but it had a different texture. It was melt in your mouth, but it was slightly gelatin-like as well. It was good.


And now it’s definitely time to get some sleep. So, enjoy the pictures!

St. Dunstan's

Me and Mom at the Tower of London by Tower Bridge

One of the ravens at the Tower of London

A metal archer on the outer wall

Our lemon cake and chocolate brownie

No comments:

Post a Comment